The 2019 Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research’s (SCAR) Standing Committee on Antarctic Humanities and Social Sciences (SC-HASS) will be held 3-5 April 2019 in Ushuaia (Argentina), at the Arakur hotel. #SCHASS2019
- 3-5 April 2019, SC-HASS conference – Arakur Hotel
- Programme details available here.
- Abstract book available here
- A shuttle will drive from the CADIC Carpark to the Arakur Hotel and back down twice a day:
- 3 April: 7:45am (up) 6:20pm (down)
- 4 April: 8:00am (up) 8:30pm (down)
- 5 April: 8:00am (up) 3:50pm (down)
- 1 April 2019, 8:30-12:30: Data Management workshop – This event will take place at the National University of Tierra del Fuego (UNTDF) Campus on Yrigoyen St. This is a free of charge, English-speaking seminar; it requires registration. For more information, please contact the coordinator, contact Ria Olivier at email@example.com
- 1 April 2019, 14:30 – 17:00: Polar Museums workshop – The Polar Museums Network will be facilitating a workshop about polar museums, together with the local partner Museo Marítimo y del Presidio (Maritime Museum). This is an English-speaking event and free of charge; registration is required as places are limited. For more information, please contact the Polar Museums Network.
- 3 April 2019, 6:30 pm: Seminar ‘Antarctica within Argentina’s International Relations’ This event will be held at the Austral Centre for Scientific Research (CADIC, 200 Bernardo Houssay St). This is a Spanish-speaking seminar open to public but spaces are limited; please register at: https://seminarioantartidaushuaia.eventbrite.com.ar/
- 5 April, at 5:00 pm: Antarctic Film showcase ‘Entre los hielos de islas Orcadas’ (‘Among the ice at Orkney Islands’) This 1928 original film from Argentina’s Jose Manuel Moneta will be shown at the Austral Centre for Scientific Research (CADIC, 200 Bernardo Houssay St). A live music band will accompany this film. Places for this event are limited, please register here: https://www.eventbrite.com.ar/e/entre-los-hielos-de-las-islas-orcadas-proyeccion-musica-en-vivo-tickets-59206923502?aff=ehomecard
- 6 April, at 7:30 pm: Public talk ‘1958: El primer crucero Antartico contado por sus protagonistas’ (‘1958: the first Antarctic tourism cruise narrated by its protagonists’) This talk is open to the public, and will be held at the Maritime Museum (see above).
- The following activities are available everyday, from April 1 to 7, 2019, (opening times to be confirmed):
- April 1-7 2019, Philatelic exhibit of Argentina’s most important Antarctic events, at the National University of Tierra del Fuego (UNTDF) Campus on Yrigoyen St. Free access.
- April 1-7 2019, Cartographic exhibition ‘From Terra Australis to Antarctica’ at the Foyer of Casa de la Cultura (Ushuaia’s Secretary of Culture exhibition room, 1800 Maipu Ave.). Maps and charts depicting the many representations of space during the European exploration and discovery of the Southern Hemisphere. Open to public, free access.
- April 1-7 2019, ‘Antarctic Experience’: a virtual reality attraction opened from Tuesday to Sunday, from 1 to 5 pm on corner of Laserre and Maipu streets. Free of charge. Limited capacity (12 people per session), please allow 30-40 min for a guided tour.
- 6 April 2019: Post-Conference trip to Harberton. This post-conference trip is optional.
- Approximate duration: 8 hours (Beagle Channel boat excursion + Guided tour at Harberton ranch + return to Ushuaia by bus).The SC-HASS Organization Committee will provide an English-speaking tour guide to talk about Antarctica, Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego during this excursion.
- Tickets: 2900 Argentine pesos. Not included: Transfer to/from the Touristic Pier and lunch.
- Further information here. If you need more details, contact Daniela at Rumbo Sur travel agency (e-mail address below).
- Purchase in advance until 4 April 2019: please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Daniela) and CC email@example.com. Please let Daniela know you are a SCAR HASSEG participant to get the special ticket price (ARS $ 2900). If you plan to stay longer in Ushuaia, Rumbo Sur (https://rumbosur.com.ar/) has a special discount for attendees to the SC-HASS. Contact Daniela for additional enquiries as well.