We are delighted to invite you to the biennial conference of the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research’s (SCAR) Standing Committee on Antarctic Humanities and Social Sciences (SC-HASS), to be held 3-5 April 2019 in Ushuaia (Argentina), at the Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET).
RegistrationsEarly-bird registrations will open soon. Registration fees will be in the realm of USD150 for full registrations and USD25 for students. Further details will be available soon.
CALL FOR PAPERS AND PANEL PROPOSALS
Antarctica may be thought of as a pristine natural environment, untouched by human disturbance, but human interactions with Antarctica have a long history and are receiving growing attention in the scholar community. The humanities and social sciences provide important insights into the continent and challenge existing understandings of Antarctica’s past, present and future relationship with the rest of the world.
The main objectives of this conference are to provide a space for exchanging information about research in the Antarctic humanities and social sciences, stimulate and organise research ideas, and develop future collaborations. We invite papers from all disciplinary fields in the social sciences, humanities and arts (including performing and creative arts) that engage with the Antarctic and southern oceans. Both proposals for individual papers and interdisciplinary panels are welcome. Proposals will be only accepted in English.
Topics of interests may include, but are not limited to:
- Antarctic gateway cities
- Antarctic future
- Antarctic historiography
- Antarctic literature
- Antarctic tourism
- Antarctic values
- Antarctica and the global commons
- Anthropocene in Antarctica
- Digging into the past: archives, artifacts, archaeology
- Environmental management
- Geopolitics of the polar regions
- History of polar science
- Human dimensions of environmental change
- Interdisciplinary polar research
- Interface between polar policy, law and science
- Media representations
- Polar heritage and museums
- Polar mobilities
- Public engagement with Antarctic research
- The Antarctic Treaty System and its challenges
Deadline for abstract submission and panel proposal: 15 September 2018
Notification of acceptance: 1 October 2018
Please send abstracts or panel proposals as MS Word attachments to email@example.com by 15 September 2018. Abstracts and panel proposals must be written in English and should be no longer than 500 words. Please submit a short biographical note of no more than 150 words along with the abstract. If you wish to submit multiple abstracts, please submit them all attached to the same email.
All abstracts will be peer-reviewed.
Dr. Cristian Lorenzo (Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET) & Instituto de Ciencias Polares, Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (ICPA) – Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego (UNTDF). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Instituto Antártico Argentino
- Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET)
- Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego
- Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología de la Provincia de Tierra del Fuego
- Instituto Fueguino de Turismo
- Municipalidad de Ushuaia
- Fundación para la Conservación del Patrimonio Antártico
Travel bursaries:A small number of travel bursaries (generally of no more than USD 500) will be available to support early-career and unwaged researchers to attend the conference. If you are interested in applying for such a bursary, please submit a completed application form, along with your abstract, to email@example.com by 15 September 2018.
Contact:If you have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those planning to stay at hotels in Ushuaia during the first week of April 2019 are likely to get a special discount on the following hotels:
- ALBATROS (http://www.albatroshotel.com.ar/): Double/Single Standard: USD 135 (per day) [For reservations email email@example.com]
- LAS LENGAS (http://www.laslengashotel.com.ar/): Double/Single Standard: USD 105 (per day) [For reservations email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- DE LOS ANDES (http://www.delosandeshotel.com.ar/): Double/Single Standard: USD 100 (per day) [For reservations email email@example.com]
Breakfast and taxes are included in the rates provided above. Cheaper accommodation is also available in various hostels and other hotels, but the aforementioned hotels are very premium hotels.
If you want to book a room at these hotels, please contact them by email noting that you will be attending the conference. The hotel staff will then provide further information on how to book a room at a special rate.
For further information about travel to or accommodation in Ushuaia, we would like to refer you to the Turismo Ushuaia app, available in English and Spanish.