We are delighted to invite you to the biennial conference of the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research’s (SCAR) Standing Committee on Antarctic Humanities and Social Sciences (SC-HASS), to be held 3-5 April 2019 in Ushuaia (Argentina), at the Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET).
RegistrationsEarly-bird registrations will open soon. Registration fees will be in the realm of USD150 for full registrations and USD25 for students. Further details will be available soon.
CALL FOR PAPERS AND PANEL PROPOSALS
Antarctica may be thought of as a pristine natural environment, untouched by human disturbance, but human interactions with Antarctica have a long history and are receiving growing attention in the scholar community. The humanities and social sciences provide important insights into the continent and challenge existing understandings of Antarctica’s past, present and future relationship with the rest of the world.
The main objectives of this conference are to provide a space for exchanging information about research in the Antarctic humanities and social sciences, stimulate and organise research ideas, and develop future collaborations. We invite papers from all disciplinary fields in the social sciences, humanities and arts (including performing and creative arts) that engage with the Antarctic and southern oceans. Both proposals for individual papers and interdisciplinary panels are welcome. Proposals will be only accepted in English.
Topics of interests may include, but are not limited to:
- Antarctic gateway cities
- Antarctic future
- Antarctic historiography
- Antarctic literature
- Antarctic tourism
- Antarctic values
- Antarctica and the global commons
- Anthropocene in Antarctica
- Digging into the past: archives, artifacts, archaeology
- Environmental management
- Geopolitics of the polar regions
- History of polar science
- Human dimensions of environmental change
- Interdisciplinary polar research
- Interface between polar policy, law and science
- Media representations
- Polar heritage and museums
- Polar mobilities
- Public engagement with Antarctic research
- The Antarctic Treaty System and its challenges
Deadline for abstract submission and panel proposal: 15 September 2018
Notification of acceptance: 1 October 2018
Please send abstracts or panel proposals as MS Word attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 September 2018. Abstracts and panel proposals must be written in English and should be no longer than 500 words. Please submit a short biographical note of no more than 150 words along with the abstract. If you wish to submit multiple abstracts, please submit them all attached to the same email.
All abstracts will be peer-reviewed.
Dr. Cristian Lorenzo (Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET) & Instituto de Ciencias Polares, Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (ICPA) – Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego (UNTDF). Email: email@example.com.
- Instituto Antártico Argentino
- Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET)
- Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego
- Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología de la Provincia de Tierra del Fuego
- Instituto Fueguino de Turismo
- Municipalidad de Ushuaia
- Fundación para la Conservación del Patrimonio Antártico
- Data Management workshop: Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego will be facilitating the organisation of a workshop on data management on 1 April 2019, from 08:30 – 12:30, at Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego. For further details please contact Ria Olivier.
- Polar Museums workshop: The Polar Museums Network will be facilitating a workshop about polar museums, together with the local partner Museo Marítimo y del Presidio. This workshop is scheduled for 1 April 2019 from 2.30 pm at Museo Marítimo y del Presidio. For more information, please contact the Polar Museums Network.
Travel bursaries:A small number of travel bursaries (generally of no more than USD 500) will be available to support early-career and unwaged researchers to attend the conference. If you are interested in applying for such a bursary, please submit a completed application form, along with your abstract, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 September 2018.
Contact:If you have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
Those planning to stay at hotels in Ushuaia during the first week of April 2019 are likely to get a special discount on the following hotels:
- ARAKUR RESORT & SPA (5-star hotel) (www.arakur.com)Double/Single Standard: USD 155 (per day).This rate includes:
- Check-in at 2 PM / Check-out at 10 AM
- Buffet Breakfast served in the restaurant
- Free wi-fi connection in rooms and public areas
- Self- guided footwalks in the Cerro Alarkén nature reserve trails with snowshoes
- Access to fitness center, indoor, in-out, kids pools and outdoor hot tubs
- Shuttle to downtown and “CADIC” on a fixed timetable.
- ALBATROS (http://www.albatroshotel.com.ar/): Double/Single Standard: USD 135 (per day) [For reservations email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- LAS LENGAS (http://www.laslengashotel.com.ar/): Double/Single Standard: USD 105 (per day) [For reservations email email@example.com]
- DE LOS ANDES (http://www.delosandeshotel.com.ar/): Double/Single Standard: USD 100 (per day) [For reservations email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- HOTEL LOS YAMANAS (http://hotelyamanas.com.ar) Double/Single Standard with Beagle Channel view: USD 149 (per day). Triple Standard with Beagle Channel view: USD 212 (per day). Breakfast is included. No charge for child under 3 years. Parking and wifi in the Hotel are included. [Please check availability at reservations email email@example.com]
- TIERRA DE LEYENDAS BOUTIQUE HOTEL (https://tierradeleyendas.com.ar/en/) STANDARD: USD 95 (per day). SUPERIOR with Beagle Channel view: USD 135 (per day). Breakfast included. [Please check availability at reservations email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- FUEGUINO HOTEL (www.fueguinohotel.com.ar): Double/Single Standard: USD 85 (per day) Double/Single Standard with Beagle Channel view: USD 90 (per day). Triple Standard: USD 110 (per day). Breakfast, use of the Gym Spa, Business Center, parking and wifi in the Hotel are included. [Please check availability at reservations email email@example.com]
- LA POSTA HOSTEL (http://www.lapostahostel.com.ar) Dormitory room with shared bathroom: USD 15 per person (per day) Double Room with Shared Bathroom: USD 38 (per day). Apartments (x2): USD 53 (per day) Apartments (x3): USD 70 (per day) Apartments (x4): USD 85 (per day) Apartments (x5): USD 100 (per day) Apartments (x6): USD 120 (per day) Breakfast and Wifi included. [Please check availability at reservations email firstname.lastname@example.org]
Breakfast and taxes are included in the rates provided above. Cheaper accommodation is also available in various hostels and other hotels, but the aforementioned hotels are very premium hotels.
If you want to book a room at these hotels, please contact them by email noting that you will be attending the conference. The hotel staff will then provide further information on how to book a room at a special rate.
For further information about travel to or accommodation in Ushuaia, we would like to refer you to the Turismo Ushuaia app, available in English and Spanish.