The Polar Museums Network (PMN) is a new international initiative to strengthen and spread the knowledge of polar history, science and exploration. The PMN is open to all persons and institutions evidencing an abiding interest in the collection, preservation, research and interpretation of polar artefacts.
The PMN invites proposals for presentations and discussion sessions for the inaugural conference of the Polar Museums Network to be held 21–23 October 2016 at the Fram Museum, Oslo, Norway. The conference will be followed by an optional study tour on 24 October 2016.
The conference theme is Polar Partnerships: Working together to spread the knowledge of polar history, science and exploration.
Proposals are welcomed for presentations on all topics that apply to polar museums or collections, from anybody working in a relevant field. Presentations may relate to recently conducted research, projects or content that concerns the field of polar museums. They are typically 20 minutes in length, followed by a 10-minute period for questions.The conference will also feature discussion sessions to plan the activities of the network, and provide an opportunity for collaboration and exchange of information. We welcome proposals and ideas for discussion session themes.
- Your name and email address
- Title or topic
- Abstract of no more than 500 words
- Friday 21 October: conference sessions and welcome reception in evening
- Saturday 22 October: conference sessions
- Sunday 23 October: conference sessions (morning only)
- Monday 24 October: study tour (locations to be confirmed)
- Registration for the conference will open on 8 July 2016. Please note that there will be a fee to attend the conference, with an additional fee for the study tour. Conference registration will be required in order to present a paper or participate in a workshop.